Monday, May 26, 2008

Copic Coloring Tutorial By Debbie

Today Debbie has taken the time to write an in depth "how to" on Coloring with Copic markers. Please enjoy!



1. I chose a pencil jar stamp and then some patterned paper that I wanted to use with it (Cosmo Cricket Cogsmo Twist and Shout). This gave me a color scheme; I used a scrap of cardstock to test my Copic color choices and find the ones that worked with the paper. The ones pictured are the ones that I came up with. Later I added a few more: a W-1 (for shadows), 0 (for blending lights or lifting color), and a special mixture of B000 and clear blender fluid--an empty marker filled with about 2/3 clear blender fluid and 1/3 B000 Copic ink for a very pale blue.



2. I stamped my image (Pencil Jar by Lockhart Stamp Company) in Memento Rich Cocoa ink (Tsukineko) on Stamper's Select White cardstock (PaperTrey Ink). I then colored a shadow with a W-1 marker and softened its edges with the 0 (clear blender) marker. Next I colored the glass jar with my pale B000 marker ). I added a little extra blue around the jar edges and rim where the glass would be darker or thicker.



3. Having established a shadow side already, I stayed consistent with it for the rest of the piece. For the green pencils I colored the whole pencil in with YG11, then ran a strip of YG23 down the shadow side.



4. Next, I used the YG11 (paler green) to blend the hard line between the two greens. If I had used the clear blender pen to try to blend these two, I would have ended up with a lighter line down the middle of the pencil. (I will use the clear blender--just not yet!)



5. For the blue pencils I used the same process--laying in a coat of BG72 and then a strip of BG75 on the shadow side.



6. Again, I used the lighter color, BG72, to blend the two blues. At this stage I used my clear blender to pull a tiny bit of color out of the highlight side of the green pencils. The clear blender acts almost as a bleaching tool--lightening up other colors. It's great for adding highlights.



7. With the red I followed the same process--R14 first, with a strip of R08 next, blended together with the R14.



8. For the yellow pencil, I used YR21 (not pictured)--one coat on the light side and three coats on the shadow side. I used an E33 to color the exposed wood part of the pencils, then used my 0 clear blender to pull a highlight out of each pencil. I used a W5 for the graphite pencil tips. Finally, I used my special pale blue to coat the contents of the jar once more and to lighten the pencils behind the jar rim where the glass would be thicker.



9. My finished card--I love my Copic markers!

FAQ: What do the letters and numbers on each marker mean? The letters tell you the hue: R=red, YR=Yellow-Red, Y=Yellow, YG=Yellow-Green, etc. The first number after the color letter on each marker refers to the relative clarity or grayness of a color. A "0 "or "1" are very clear, pure colors. An "8" or "9" would be muted, grayed colors. The second number (or second and third in the case of a "00") tells the value of the color. A "00" is the lightest value, and a "9" is the darkest value of a color. Knowing this information will enable you to choose hues and shades that work well together.

19 comments:

2stampis2b said...

Thank you so much for the Copics tutorial! I should go down and practice right now!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! Such a wonderful example and tutorial Debbie---Thanks so much for sharing!
Melis

Charity Hassel said...

what a great tutorial~~~

Linda said...

OK, so I want to be you and be a coloring expert like this! Guess I need to sit down and play! You make it look so easy so I guess that is promising!

Sherry Wright said...

This is wonderful Debbie, thanks so much for sharing your talent! :)

Shannan Teubner said...

Thanks so much for sharing this...it helps to see every step! And Debbie is a genius!

Lea L. said...

This is an amazing tutorial Debbie!! Now...if I could just afford copic markers...tee hee hee! Hopefully someday soon!

~Lea

Julie Carlisle said...

Thanks for the explanation about the numbering! I have not seen that anywhere before.

Patter Cross said...

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing!

Pamela Smerker said...

Great tut! I would love to have some Copics in my collection. Some day!!

Laura said...

awesome! thank you!!!! copics don't seem quite so foreign and scary now!!!! ;)

Dawn Easton said...

Fantastic tutorial Debbie! Thanks for explaining the letters and numbers. It does help...now I can go make a list of ones I need...ok want ;)

Kandis Smith said...

You are so amazing with those Copic markers girl! I gotta get me some!!
-Kandis

diane mcvey said...

GREAT tutorial! It is so helpful!!! Thank you so much, Debbie..you are the BEST!!! :D

Lori Craig said...

now I need refills....love that tip with the B000 - I use that all the time, but would love it even lighter... will have to try that! Wonderful tut!

Diane said...

Ooh. I've only just heard about copic markers. They look so cool. Might have to get me some!
Thanks for the tutorial.

LazyKay said...

Thank you for sharing this and taking the time to write it up.

xxxxxxx

reeree62 said...

Thanks so much for such an easy to follow, user friendly tutorial. I learned a lot!

Anonymous said...

I have some Copics and I understood what Debbie was saying with the different colors. But I found the image too small to see the effects she was getting.