Monday, June 23, 2008

A Button on Top

Melissa has shared a wonderful tutorial on using buttons this week:

I was recently asked what my favorite paper-crafting product was and I responded without hesitation…BUTTONS of course! I love them for so many reasons. They are inexpensive, they are the perfect finishing touch, they come in any color you could ever need, they come in a huge array of sizes and shapes, and they are CUTE in every sense of the word.

So my tutorial today will be about these crazy and fun little items. I’ll show you a few ways that I enjoy using them in my projects---but the most enticing part about buttons is that there are a lot of ways to use them that I have yet to try, but certainly look forward to. One wonderful resource I would love to inform you of is the Paper Crafts 101 Special Issue http://www.papercraftsmag.com/shop/item.ihtml?idx=743. It is full of ideas not only for how to use your buttons creatively but many, many other products as well.

Let’s get started.

How about creating a photo corner or two from buttons to accent a sweet baby photo?

Create leaves from ribbon and insert just under the edge of your button to resemble a flower.

Layering is so fun with buttons---for this first card I used chipboard, a clear button, and a metal button—love the dimension this brings. And for the second card I just attached a tied button over a chipboard heart---simple.

I love adding found objects into my creations so for this I used a hat pin through a button hole and then added a flower and tag beneath.

Why not accent things such as wheels on a baby buggy, dotting the “i’s” in your title, or the center of a star---buttons can add so much interest to many different elements.

Instead of fastening a brad through the holes on your bookplate, try tying a button to the hole.

One of my most favorite things to do with buttons is to tie them to the center of a bow---I can’t stop myself from adding this as a finishing touch.

Attaching brads through button holes is a lot of fun and a way to bring in color, texture, and interest---I love how this looks.

One very common thing to do with your buttons is to accent flowers by using them in the center. These 2 pictures show the versatility and range of sizes in buttons for this purpose.

I ‘m so happy to have clear buttons at my fingertips as well---basically you get to create your own buttons with these---simply trace them onto your patterned paper, cut out and adhere to the back.

I have a lot of fun experimenting on buttons by tying them with different things such as ribbon, hemp, thread, jute---try experimenting on those naked button holes :)

And lastly, try attaching a button to the top of a tag---mix things up and see how it changes the look of your project---you’ll love it.

Paper-crafting would not be the same without these little gems---enjoy them, have fun, and experiment a little. Be sure to show me you’re creative ideas as well…I’d love to add them to my list of techniques!

Enjoy your Monday!

Melissa

24 comments:

Heather T. said...

Awesome ideas--thank you! I'm feeling totally button-inspired!

Carolyn Mcavoy said...

I love using buttons tooo....
Thanks for the great tips....
I didn't think of using them in a few ways you pointed out...
TFS

Keri Lee Sereika said...

WOWZERS that is the best button tutorial I have ever seen! Thanks Melis!!! (thanks Charity for formatting it, you rock!)

Jackie G said...

OMG!!! This is so amazing!!
I'm completely speechless!! I love all these samples!

Julie Campbell said...

I'm usually a blog browser these days... but I HAD to stop in and say what a wonderful post this was!!! I am super inspired! Thanks for taking the time to do this!!!

Wendy said...

I love buttons too. These are great ideas! Really great, fresh ideas that make me want to go scrap right now! Thank you!!!
Wendy

madville said...

Thanks for the great ideas for buttons, I really love it with a hat pin, I'll be adding some buttons to my scrapbooking! Kristin

Anabelle said...

Love getting a little peak into your creative genius. This is wonderful! Can't wait to use my buttons in new ways. :)

asela said...

Love, love, love all of these!! Thanks

Aude said...

Fabulous and so pretty!

dawnsing said...

Melissa, AWESOME tutorial! I loved it!! So many great photos! ;)

Anonymous said...

Great tips....thanks!

Krista B. said...

Great tutorial, love all the examples - thanks so much : )

liannallama said...

ohmigosh! What wonderful ideas and so well done! I was just thinking to myself that I needed to use more buttons!

Kandis Smith said...

awesome Tutorial Melissa! Love that layering!!

Radiogirl said...

Wonderful ideas. Love them and the images that accompany them.

Betty said...

cleaver! all are just beautiful!

Alison Zulyniak said...

Great ideas! I really like the use of the button on the snowflake... I'm going to try that!

Penny Hanuszak said...

So many great ideas, my head is swirling. Thanks for sharing your beautiful picture tutorial and comments......very inspiring!

Lynne said...

Great ways to use buttons, thanks

ride on lawn mowers said...

Never know that button could be so useful in decorating card. I going use it to decor the next birthday card for my GF. Thanks for sharing

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

awesome!!! I´ll feature on my blog. Hope you don´t mind
hugs from Brazil

salma said...

Awesome!!!How did you give those colors so much LIFE????
discount card printing
custom gift cards
plastic card
Scratch Card

seo service for blogspot said...

want to try link building service for blogspot ?
we can do this