Saturday, September 20, 2008

A "sweet" tutorial sponsored By Kandi Corp


Today I (Keri) have a short tutorial and some tips on how to use the Professional Touch Hot Fix Applicator Tool and Hot Fix Crystals by Kandi Corp.



The Professional Touch Hot Fix Applicator Tool comes with eight interchangeable tips included in the package. Here I will be using the 5mm and 3mm rhinestone tips as shown in the picture. One of the great parts to this tool is it's versatility as well as ease of application.


Begin by placing the tip you wish to use into the tip of the tool and twist to secure. Turn the tool on AFTER you have placed the tip onto the tool. To change sizes all you have to do is turn off the tool, unscrew the tip and replace with the next tip you want to use. BE SURE TO ALLOW AMPLE TIME FOR THE TIP TO COOL PRIOR TO CHANGING IT OUT! It takes the solid brass tip a few moments to cool completely after you have turned off the tool.


Once the tip has been put into the tool, and the tool has had a moment to heat up, it is time to start sticking crystals! :) There are two ways to do this. The first is to simply place the crystals you plan on using face up (crystal side showing) on your work surface, gently touch the Professional Touch Hot Fix Applicator to the crystal. It will cup the crystal in the hot tip, allowing you to pick up the crystal.


See here how the tip holds the crystal...
Depending on WHAT MATERIAL (see additional info in the tips section) you are placing your gem onto you will want to wait a FEW SECONDS for the glue to heat. I have found that for cardstock and paper 3 seconds is perfect for 4mm and smaller crystals, maybe a second longer for 5mm and larger...however when adhering to ribbon give it atleast as much time as cardstock.


Once the glue has heated place your crystal onto your project.


Here I am showing how well they adhere to ribbon...And that is one way to adhere the crystals.

Another way to adhere the Hot Fix Crystals is to lay them on the surface of your project and then apply the tip straight down. I find this is a good way to do it if I am working on a line that I want to be sure my spacing is correct each time, or if I want to create a design ahead of time. I simply lay the crystals out face up and hold the tool on top of the crystal face for 3-5 seconds.

Once it is on the ribbon and you have allowed ample time to cool the crystal is held in place and it WILL NOT FALL OFF! :)

Here is a close up of how I chose to use the smaller 3mm crystals on cardstock. It is fun to not have to worry about excess glue showing...especially on these TINY little crystals.

Supplies:
Professional Touch Hot Fix Applicator , 3mm AB Crystal, 5mm Crylstal Hot Fix Crystals - Kandi Corp.
Cardstock: Baby Pink Light, Intense Pink, Black Prismatics; Smooth White -Prism
Stamps: Love Seals - Impression Obsession
Ink: Charcoal Fluid Chalk Ink - Clearsnap
Dies: Classic Circle, Label I - Spellbinders
Crimper: Fiskars
Acrylic Paint (Dry Brush tech.), Ribbon

And here is the finished card! See how I was able to space my crystals evenly then I applied the tool once I had my layout just so?
Here are some additional tips and ideas on how to use this fun too!

1. BE SURE TO ALLOW AMPLE TIME FOR THE TIP TO COOL PRIOR TO CHANGING IT OUT!

2.The crystals can be adhered to many many surfaces. I have had good luck adhering them to the following:
  • Cardstock
  • Paper
  • Vellum
  • Coated and Metallic Papers
  • Fabric
  • Ribbon ( grosgrain, satin and sheer )
  • Glass
  • Cork
The list goes on I am sure but those are the surfaces I have tried it on so far!

3. The steps in the first application don't work really well when trying to apply a crystal to a heat embossed image as I have found it heats the embossing powder and you run the risk of ruining the embossed image, however you can place the crystal onto the image and use a tip that is too small for the crystal and heat it that way. Then I find the actual heat embossed image doesn't come in contact with the tip of the tool itself.

4. Because this is a heat application it is very easy to apply "last minute" sparkle and bling to any project, simply heat, touch, stick and cool!

I hope you have learned something from this tutorial and tips! Should you have any further questions please leave them in the comments below and I will do my best to compile and answer them in the near future! :)

8 comments:

goooooood girl said...

So good......

tiggertastic said...

wow this looks fab,

Sarah x

Lea L. said...

Awesome tutorial Keri!!

Pat (mspfd) said...

I was wondering how it worked and couldn't find a demo on the site. This is a fabulous tutorial! You should do an ad for them!

Pat (mspfd) said...

Oops, forgot to mention how much I love your card. It is darling; love the colors.

Debbie Olson said...

Graet job, Keri! Hope things calm down at your house this week!

Sarah said...

Great tutorial!! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah G.

Linda Beeson said...

Wow, you covered everything! Great tips and I so need to try mine on something other then paper.